[Standards-JIG] jabber and webservices

bernhard bz at datenkueche.com
Sun Jan 22 21:32:10 UTC 2006

Hi all

Is there a transport to http in jabber?

I want to access webservices like
http://www.webservcex.net
offers.
something like sending free SMS:

<message to="www.webservicex.net/sendsmsworld.asmx">

  <soap:Body>
    <sendSMS xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET">
      <FromEmailAddress>string</FromEmailAddress>
      <CountryCode>string</CountryCode>
      <MobileNumber>string</MobileNumber>
      <Message>string</Message>
    </sendSMS>
  </soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>
</message>

response:
<message from="www.webservicex.net/sendsmsworld.asmx">
<soap:Envelope xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/">

  <soap:Body>
    <sendSMSResponse xmlns="http://www.webserviceX.NET">
      <sendSMSResult>string</sendSMSResult>
    </sendSMSResponse>
  </soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>
</message>

I'm am browser programmer and want to do some AJAX things using jep-0124.
It's not a big problem to make a "direct" connection to the webservice but
if I use http-binding and have one more http connection opened, everything blocks.
Browsers don't allow more than 2 connections to a webserver.

It would be cool to do all AJAX over Jabber.
This would also open Jabber to PHP programmers. PHP5 has really good XML support.
Maybe there will be a mod_jabber_php as plugin to the jabber server some time in future...
but now a transport to http would be fine for me.

Bernhard