[Standards-JIG] A jep for the Games

Andrew Plotkin erkyrath at eblong.com
Mon Jan 23 17:40:55 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Nolan Eakins wrote:

> Trejkaz wrote:
>
>> As for specific interoperability for different game types, it's almost like
>> a sub-group should be created to manage creation of these "JGPs". I can
>> easily see the set of all games becoming greater than the set of all other
>> JEPs, and it's possible that something like game protocols shouldn't be
>> handled as seriously as other standards in the first place.
>
> A generic protocol to handle the use cases above for games and/or
> colloborative apps could be set into stone. The only problem is where and how
> to register the game/app (or maybe protocol?). That may not be necessary with
> UUIDs...but there could still be a conflict.

This is all a good description of the problem we've been trying to solve
with Volity. It isn't all in place yet -- for example, the registry you
describe is still a little database table that we have to edit by hand.
However, we intend to create a web site that lets game developers register
game rulesets and interfaces.

(Or it could be updated via Jabber in some way.)

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't shipped you to Syria for interrogation, it's
for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because of the Eighth Amendment.