[Standards-JIG] A jep for the Games

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Mon Jan 23 21:23:47 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 20:53, Nolan Eakins wrote:
> Trejkaz wrote:
> > I said to someone who replied to me off-list, that multiplayer games
> > do in fact have a certain amount of stuff in common, no matter what
> > game it is.
> >
> > All games do have a certain amount in common.  You have two main use
> > cases: creating a new game and joining an existing game.
>
> I would also add "Currently playing ..." to that list. This need not be
> restricted to just games, "Currently using ..."

I think we have something like that in JEP-0108 already, it just needs
extension.

  <activity xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/activity'>
    <relaxing>
      <gaming>
        <game xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/games'
              node='http://example.com/protocol/games/foo'/>
      </gaming>
    </relaxing>
  </activity>

(side-track... if you're a professional gamer, does gaming go under relaxing
or working?  likewise for coding for fun...)

> That's not the case with all games/apps. An FPS would be a prime
> example. You can typically join the game whenever you want. So
> specifying if a game is closed or not depends on the game. (That also
> has me thinking of MMPGs where you may want to publish your virtual
> location).

It depends on more than the game type (to use your example, you can easily
have closed FPS games, and also private FPS games.)

We also have games which might not be running on the computer.  For instance,
if I'm playing an online game on my DS, I might want to tell people on my
list that I'm online in a certain so that they know they can fire up and join
my game.  In this situation we don't even need a protocol, just some way to
say that I'm in so-and-so game.

> A generic protocol to handle the use cases above for games and/or
> colloborative apps could be set into stone. The only problem is where
> and how to register the game/app (or maybe protocol?). That may not be
> necessary with UUIDs...but there could still be a conflict.

Well, if we did use UUIDs there wouldn't be a conflict by definition, but it
wouldn't be a very readable identifier anyway.  You're doomed to set up some
kind of registry already, in order to specify the particular protocol of each
game... might as well store the URIs of the games in the same location.

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/