[Standards-JIG] A jep for the Games

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Tue Jan 24 07:45:13 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 25 January 2006 09:39, Nolan Eakins wrote:
> Trejkaz wrote:
> >>I would also add "Currently playing ..." to that list. This need not be
> >>restricted to just games, "Currently using ..."
> >
> >I think we have something like that in JEP-0108 already, it just needs
> >extension.
> >
> >(side-track... if you're a professional gamer, does gaming go under
> > relaxing or working?  likewise for coding for fun...)
>
> Continuing on the side track: Wouldn't something like <relaxing/> be
> done better as a text node or attribute? Otherwise I can think of a
> number of activities that probably aren't mentioned in 0108. At the
> least, <other/>, could include something more descriptive.

I agree.  This is at least in part like <show>/<status>, only for activities.
The purpose of the activity and the summary of the activity don't necessarily
relate directly to each other.  I mean, you might take a shower in order to
relax, rather than to clean.  And what if you're having a lunch appointment?
Is that having an appointment, or eating/having lunch?

Rigid hierarchies are annoying for such things.

I don't agree on it being a text node though... it's better for localisation
to at least enumerate the common activities.  I'm sure this is exactly the
reason it was done the way it was.

> So we just need to communicate: I'm playing this {game} on {this system}
> {on this server}? The brackets would be candidates for an element.

More or less.  Server isn't always the right analogy either.

In the case of Animal Crossing WW for example (picking on this because I play
online fairly often at the moment), it would have to say something like...

  <game>
    <name>Animal Crossing: Wild World</name>
    <system>Nintendo DS</system>
    <identity>
      <friend-code>XXXX-XXXX-XXXX</friend-code>
      <town-name>Mytown</town-name>
      <player-name>Bob</player-name>
    </identity>
 </game>

For an FPS, it might be...

  <game>
    <name>Counter-Strike: Source</name>
    <system>PC</system>
    <identity>
      <server>100.100.100.100:10000</server>
      <player-name>Bob</player-name>
    </identity>
  </game>

The exact details of what's needed to join are different for every game... and
may even be one more thing that requires extension.  Animal Crossing's "town
name" is pretty unique to just that game, but "friend code" is present in
every Nintendo Wi-Fi game and has the same semantics in every game (so far.)
Things like "server" and "player/character name" would crop up often enough
that they would probably be standard.

In the end though, a lot of this data would have to be entered manually, so a
lot of users wouldn't bother and would just say they're playing a certain
game and leave it at that...

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org