[Standards-JIG] NEW: JEP-0172 (User Nickname)

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 22:13:50 UTC 2006

Well done, this is a simple and useful JEP. I like that it enables
client developers to present friendly names to users immediately. There
is no need for the client to wait for a vCard lookup (or equivalent)
that it knows might not even succeed. Client developers can also avoid
the associated asynchronous coding.

One comment: While I appreciate that reusing the
http://jabber.org/protocol/profile FORM_TYPE is appealing, IMHO this
identity protocol is both fundamental and important enough to have its
own namespace. [I probably should have asked earlier today if the
authors considered making this JEP Standards Track?]

Data forms seem a bit verbose for protocol that might be transmitted
very often. For examples, in large public chat rooms and... SPIM
subscription requests. ;-)

(Large public chat rooms often have more than 1000 occupants, that means
2 million presence stanzas are exchanged - even before you consider the
frequent comings and goings.)

- Ian