[Standards-JIG] Extending SMTP with XMPP?

Pete Birkinshaw pete at binary-ape.org
Wed Jan 25 18:02:33 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Why not leave the senders/users/clients out of it and instead use XMPP
> for server-to-server traffic between email services?
>
> http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/2006-01.html#2006-01-12T15:05
>
> /psa

I like the idea of extending a 'normal' mail server so that it can try
an XMPP transfer method instead of SMTP, falling back to using SMTP if
XMPP isn't available.

However, I'm worried that this might still be too big a first step. Many
organisations are *very* conservative and cautious in how they manage
email systems, so a hybrid approach might be more acceptable at first.

As I'm thinking about using XMPP as a spam filter on normal gateway
servers this probably applies to the hybrid idea too to some extent.

Pete

--

Pete Birkinshaw       |