[Standards-JIG] Extending SMTP with XMPP?

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Wed Jan 25 21:57:46 UTC 2006

Op woensdag 25 januari 2006 19:02, schreef Pete Birkinshaw:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> >
> > Why not leave the senders/users/clients out of it and instead use XMPP
> > for server-to-server traffic between email services?
> >
> > http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/2006-01.html#2006-01-12T15:05
> >
> > /psa

@psa: Coccinella also has email related dialogs in its interface:
* Inbox (which now contains messages of the type normal)
* Quoting messages
* Message subject and email-like To field.

> I like the idea of extending a 'normal' mail server so that it can try
> an XMPP transfer method instead of SMTP, falling back to using SMTP if
> XMPP isn't available.
>
> However, I'm worried that this might still be too big a first step. Many
> organisations are *very* conservative and cautious in how they manage
> email systems, so a hybrid approach might be more acceptable at first.

Stage 1: deployment of these features on current XMPP servers.
Stage 2: more deployments by ISPs etc

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.
xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org

ejabberd, the expandable Jabber daemon. --
http://ejabberd.jabber.ru/