[Standards-JIG] JEP-0136: server-side support?

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Tue Jan 31 01:07:59 UTC 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 15:09, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> JEP-0136 is good as far as it goes, but I wonder:
>
> 1. Wouldn't it be useful to have this be a feature that you can tell
> your server to switch on so that you don't have to archive the messages
> yourself?

Indeed, I would really like to see server support here.  It is the "Jabber
way" of keeping the client simple, and plus it saves a lot of bandwidth.  Of
course, client support is essential, for migration and manipulation of the
dataset, as well as encryption.  So we ideally want both.

> 3. If this were a server-side feature, wouldn't it be friendly for
> server1 to tell server2 when it toggles support so that server1 can
> disable archiving on its side, as well?

Is there a case where maintaining independent archives is undesirable?
Personally, I'd always want my own copy.

That said, it might be worth having a flag to indicate that the chat is being
logged, in case you want to inform the other party(ies) for some reason.  And
a server could act on this if it wanted to.  But then we've been logging
client-side for ages without telling anyone, so I'm not sure how vital this
feature would be.  And it might open up some evil doors given how easy it
would be to lie about.

-Justin