[Standards-JIG] message types

Jeremy Nickurak atrus at jabber.spam.rifetech.com
Sun Jul 2 20:52:42 UTC 2006

On sab, 2006-07-01 at 19:06 -0600, Joe Hildebrand wrote:
> In many implementations, headline messages also don't get stored by
> the receiving server if the addressee is offline, like the other
> message types.

Jabberd14 used to act this way, but it was changed on my urging, since
the spec simply says (
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3921.txt ):

"The message is probably generated by an automated service that delivers
or broadcasts content (news, sports, market information, RSS feeds,
etc.).  No reply to the message is expected, and a compliant client
SHOULD present the message in an interface that appropriately
differentiates the message from standalone messages, chat sessions, or
groupchat sessions (e.g., by not providing the recipient with the
ability to reply). "

JEP-160 says:
"headline -- Messages with a 'type' attribute whose value is "headline"
SHOULD NOT be stored offline, since such messages are usually
time-sensitive."

I don't know where the "time-sensitive" qualifier came from, but it
would seem that either xmpp-im is missing some descriptive information
about "headline" messages' or JEP-160 is making assumptions it shouldn't
be.

I've certainly been writing my implementations on the assumption that
headline messages ARE stored offline, as this is the way both jabberd14
and jabberd2 operate.

What implementations still use the other behavior?