[Standards-JIG] File transfer improvements

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Mon Jul 3 18:20:04 UTC 2006

Hi Nolan,

In general, I agree XMPP would benefit from a better specification of how
the 'offline' cases have to be handled. After all why not make sure we
"presence enable" every XMPP service...
In the file transfer case, the associated JEPs only address what is
happening when a recipient (p2p or mediated) is available. And in most cases
people have been using this protocol in a very "interactive" way, where they
either did not tried to transfer files to offline recipients, or could not
do it because their client would not let them do it.

You are right in saying there are use cases requiring the capability to
leave a file or other payload for a recipient that is either "offline" or in
a certain presence state.
Taking your reference to Jingle, the extension provides a form of redirect
for session requests that would be appropriate in the case of redirecting to
a voice mail. So, in effect the protocol allow for the voice mail case
(voice mail being just an alternative Jingle recipient).

In effect what are missing are the services that would handle the
redirections in case a user is "offline", "dnd" or whatever. It may be
beneficial to document recommendations describing how these services could
be discovered and what features set they could provide. We could imagine for
example that a Jingle voice mail service would allow an end user to set
different availability profiles and that the server could use these profiles
to make decisions as to where to redirect a Jingle request. A similar
approach could be applied to file transfer.

In the end, though, it would require different XMPP servers. Today's
implementations do not go beyond offline messages (I am not talking MUC or
PubSub which describe how presence is used in rendering their service). But
we certainly have to take these requirements for "offline" or presence
related file transfer and multimedia handling into consideration in the
related JEPs.

Jean-Louis