[Standards-JIG] File transfer improvements

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Fri Jul 7 17:15:04 UTC 2006

On 7 Jul 2006, at 17:36, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Nolan Eakins wrote:
>>  but we need to be able to send
>> files to people who are offline. This would allow actual
>> attachments and
>> inline images in offline messag
>
> Those are nice ideas. How will it happen?
> ... Naturally, many
> server deployments may not want to provide that kind of offline
> storage.

Many won't, but I think there's a great number of people who run
their own servers and wouldn't mind this (with sensible constraints).
It's also worth considering email, which we compare ourselves to
(well, I do) email servers allow (limited size) offline file storage;
if we'd like every isp to eventually provide xmpp like they do mail,
it's not infeasible that we'd end up with admins willing to give 5meg
to each user or such.

/K

--
Kevin Smith, PhD Student, Computer Science, Exeter University http://