[Standards-JIG] JEP-0163 (PEP) 'owner' access model

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Jul 12 10:48:58 UTC 2006

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 06:21:29PM +0100, Ian Paterson wrote:
> I remember someone had the idea of including something like an 'owner'
> access model for JEP-0163 (and JEP-0060). i.e. where only the node owner
> can subscribe or access the data. This trivial addition would enable
> JEP-0163 to offer an alternative to the existing private data storage
> protocol (a significant improvement thanks to notifications, and JEP-0163's
> implicit standardization of node names).
>
> I confess to not having followed every detail of the lengthy JEP-0060/0163
> discussions over the last few months. Can anyone please tell me if this
> access model was dropped due to concensus, or if it simply didn't make it
> into these versions of the JEPs?

IMHO, the owner access model is the whitelist model before adding anyone
but the owner. The whitelist model defaults to owner access only (i.e.,
the owner must always be able to subscribe or retrieve items), so if the
owner doesn't add anyone else, you have owner-only access. Thus it seems
to me that we don't need a special owner access model.

/psa