[Standards-JIG] JEP-0071: class and rel attributes

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jul 21 15:53:10 UTC 2006

I've been talking with some folks in the microformats [1] community of
late and I've realized that it would be cool for XHTML-IM [2] to be able
to embed microformats, most of which use the 'class' [3] and 'rel' [4]
attributes. Unfortunatately, use of these attributes is discouraged by
XHTML-IM. So I would like to "un-discourage" these attributes in the
next version of the spec.

Any objections?

/psa

(Note also that JEP-0071 misunderstands the function of the 'class'
attribute, since it assumes that it's used only in relation to CSS,
which is not true. In the next version of JEP-0071 we will link to or
copy the official definitions of the attributes.)

[1] http://microformats.org/

[2] http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0071.html

[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#adef-class

[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#adef-rel