[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0163: further PEP simplification

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jul 25 23:37:47 UTC 2006

Remko Troncon wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2006, at 0:31, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>
>> Your feedback is welcome.
>
> Sounds excellent, just the way we want it !
>
> Out of curiosity: can this (sending events only to resources in specific
> cases, i.e. when caps say so you can) be mapped completely onto current
> PubSub semantics ?

Phase 1 will be for me to update JEP-0163 with this approach. Phase 2
will be to figure out where some of the documentation belongs (e.g.,
whether we need to add some of this to JEP-0060).

The caps stuff is an optimization for filtering the notifications that
are sent from the root collection node when that node is the same as the
bare JID of the publisher's account, but I think it could be used more
generally for pubsub nodes that are aware of subscriber presence. If we
say it can be used more generally, we probably need to make it a node
configuration option.

The presence subscription = pubsub subscription stuff seems less generic
and more PEP-specific, since it would be used only when the (virtual)
pubsub service is JID-addressable. I don't think we would want to
subscribe to most nodes that way (only services = root collection nodes)
and I don't know if we want to encourage that in generic pubsub anyway.
Further thought required.