[Standards-JIG] [Fwd: [interop] day 1 summary]

Albert Holm albert+sjig at cdr.se
Thu Jul 27 10:37:24 UTC 2006

Wednesday 26 July 2006 12:55 Gary wrote:
> On 7/26/06, Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at jajcus.net> wrote:
> > Did all the software tested during the event properly handled SRV
> > records?
>
> The software handles SRV records, but that's not the problem. Many
> domain administrators cannot configure SRV records because their
> current DNS host does not support SRV records. Asking domain
> administrators to change DNS hosts slows the growth of the XMPP
> network.

If TXT is to be used as a fallback mechianism then we would have to know how
many it would help. Unless it helps more or less every domain administrator
who cannot set up SRV then it is bad as a fallback mechanism.

I would believe that most DNS hosts that believe SRV is difficult/hard/not
supported also believe that everything else except MX, A, CNAME and maybe
even NS is equally difficult/hard/not supported and thus does not support
TXT.

Anyone have an estimation on how many this would help?