Michal vorner Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Thu Jun 1 11:37:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 12:44:49PM +0200, Carlo v. Loesch wrote:
> Richard Dobson typeth:
> | Well it might be the end of the story for you but its still a big
> | failing in your spec, it doesn't have a decent level of error recovery,
>
> claim, no facts.
>
> | its a real waste (and if you ask me not something you can truly even
> | describe as error recovery) to have to send the whole list again from
> | scratch when you get a problem with only a single one of the stanzas,
> | maybe even the last one you have sent out. Spin it how you like but it
>
> you still haven't understood the proto-JEP properly.
> no matter which part of the broad unicast fails and when, only that part
> needs to be repeated or re-established. you don't have to restart
> everything from scratch - you only need to redefine a couple of people
> on the list of one particular host, if that particular host had serious
> delivery problems.
>
> | would be far better if your spec were able to only have to resend only
> | those which did not get there.
>
> that's what it does. thanks for talking so much before reading it closely.
>
> | "Like a broadcast, a multicast replicates information from one source to
> | multiple recipients on a network"
>
> incorrect.
>
> | "To transmit a message to a select group of recipients. A simple example
> | of multicasting is sending an e-mail message to a mailing list."
>
> incorrect. why would one invent "ip multicast" if e-mail already did it.
>
> | "Special form of broadcast in which copies of the packet are delivered
> | to multiple stations, but only a subset of all possible destinations"
>
> just go into the IETF MMUSIC WG and ask them if these are valid
> definitions of "multicast" - they will, if they spare the time, inform
> you that these are all superficial simplifications of what multicast
> actually does.
>
> | "Multicast is the delivery of information to a group of destinations
> | simultaneously using the most efficient strategy to deliver the messages
> | over each link of the network only once and only create copies when the
> | links to the destinations split. By comparison with multicast,
> | conventional point-to-single-point delivery is called unicast, whereas
> | delivery to every node of the network is broadcast"
>
> this definition is mostly correct, although the intention is that every
> packet gets sent to australia only once, so if you know people on 4
> servers in australia, xmpp will, no matter which jep we apply to it,
> send the packets 4 times towards australia. that's no longer proper
> multicast then. it is what we call 'smarticast' at best.
>
> | Protocol verbosity??? I'm confused, how does reducing the number of
> | stanzas significantly and easily providing for error recovery mean its
> | verbose, if anything its less so due to the major reduction in the
>
> your list generation is verbose, maybe not much more than a "broad unicast"
> of presence though, so if the good ole "broadcast" is no longer wanted, it
> [...]
This is just a guess, but if everyone on the list understands the
proto-JEP wrongly, isn't it wrongly written? Specs should be clear
enough anyone sees at the first glance what it does. Otherwise, it is
hard to understand and implementations will be buggy.

--

Work with computer has 2 phases. First, computer waits for the user to tell it what
to do, then the user waits for the computer to do it. Therefore, computer work

Michal "vorner" Vaner