Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jun 1 12:25:45 UTC 2006

On Thu Jun 01 12:49:08 2006, Carlo v. Loesch wrote:
> "everyone on the list" however hasn't read the proto-JEP yet,
> apparently only about 5 people.

Is this based on page hits?

>  the interest in reducing approx.
> 50% of presence traffic according to matthias' figures is limited,
> considering that presence stanzas only make up 70% of the total
> amount of stanzas on the jabber network.

I think people would be more immediately interested in reducing
either octet count or packet count. I doubt stanza count is an
important metric for scalability. Packet count is basically reduced
by either reducing the number of round-trips, as a by-product of
reducing the octet count, or by buffering.

Reducing the octet count is done by altering the representation using
domain specific knowledge, using a general compression algorithm, or
(most obviously) by reducing the amount of information exchanged.

Your first proposal did the first, but at the risk of privacy, and
your second is simply a representational change - it'll work, to a
degree, but I think overall the gains will be small post-compression,
if they exist at all.

> everyone with scalability issues in s2s traffic should spend time
> on a solution like this, but maybe it isn't hurting enough yet.

Hmmm... I think you're assuming that people have scalability issues
at all that depend on stanza count, or even bandwidth. I don't think
anyone's said that this *is* a scalability problem, in fact, although
I may have missed something there.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/