Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jun 1 12:25:54 UTC 2006

On Thu Jun 01 11:44:49 2006, Carlo v. Loesch wrote:
> | Why would we want to introduce a "framing capable syntax"? What
> real | benefits would it provide over our manipulation of the to
> and from
> it allows for
> [x] unquoted and unparsed binary file transfers
> [x] routing and multicasting content without losing time parsing it
> [x] probably more

In general, introducing increased framing means that the protocol
stream will be larger, post-compression, as far as I've found.
Admittedly, this is just a very strong hunch backed up by a few
examples.

You're correct in your assertion that framed data would mean clean
binary transfers, but that isn't a goal of XMPP - anyone shipping
binary data directly through XMPP is simply doing something
inefficient. If you do want to ship large binary objects, it's more
efficient to send them either via email, or send a URL via XMPP, and
ship the data by a more suitable protocol.

The other assertion - that parsing it takes an increased amount of
time - is debatable, I'd want to see figures on that before accepting
it.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/