Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Thu Jun 1 13:38:10 UTC 2006

Dave Cridland typeth:
| In general, introducing increased framing means that the protocol
| stream will be larger, post-compression, as far as I've found.
| Admittedly, this is just a very strong hunch backed up by a few
| examples.

Hmm.. are you talking about a protocol optimized for framing, or are
you talking about a method to apply framing on top of XMPP? I may have
missed some discussion or JEPs about that.

| The other assertion - that parsing it takes an increased amount of
| time - is debatable, I'd want to see figures on that before accepting
| it.

It's technical, when you know how much data is coming your way, you
can instruct your libs/kernel to just put the next XY octets straight
into a buffer, whereas with XML you have to parse everything because
you never know *when* the final closing tag comes your way.