Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Jun 1 17:23:21 UTC 2006

> Well, with this discussion, I decided I will write a JEP myself (which
> would handle generic smartcast and could be extended to any particular
> case to add more saving - so exactly the other way around). I wanted
> to extend the advanced addressing component to store the lists and
> wanted the hash to be part of the JID (the name of the list, like
> md5 at smartcast.server.net).

If you need a hand with the JEP let me know (or with having a reference
implementation as ive looked at doing this in the past). I started to
write some stuff up too as it seems the only real solution to this
discussion is probably just a good old competition between the two
approaches and see which the community likes best (my bet would be the
more extensible, more reliable, less hacky, more generic, more
de-couplable solution, but we will just have to see).

It might be easier to implement if you use
listname at smartcast.server.net/md5, then you can still cleanly address
the list but also detect whether

> I need to think of few little details (like, how to save the lists, how
> to report errors and everything..)

Just have a look at my posts on this subject an IQ based approach seems
like the best and most generic way to me.

Richard