[Standards-JIG] Closing idle streams

Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Thu Jun 1 19:03:47 UTC 2006

Matthew A. Miller typeth:
| Maybe my reading comprehension skills are lacking, but I read this to
| mean what one MUST do is:
| 1)  send  the appropriate <stream:error/>
| 2)  send the closing </stream:stream>
| 3)  terminate the underlying TCP connection

No you understood perfectly, only that by terminating the connection
you no longer give the other side the chance to finish whatever it
may have started sending, thus risking loss of data.

Whereas the stream close handshake allows the other side to friendly
close its side, too, and both sides know no data got lost.