[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Address lists

Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Thu Jun 8 07:31:14 UTC 2006

Michal vorner Vaner wrote:

> And yes, if we are about to build a multicast principle everyone can
> use, then yes, everyone can misuse. But it is the same with everything.

opt-in will probably make misuse 'harder' than opt-out or just ignoring
any 'spim'.

> But that is not transparent. That is why it is not used. You would have
> to modify all the clients to subscribe to MUC messages, to this kind of
> data, and to that kind of data..

You don't need explicit subscribes for MUC or groupchat. The server
'knows' that a client has joined a MUC room if there was a bidirectional
exchange of directed presence, e.g. romeo sends a directed presence to
some address and receives a directed presence from this address.
At least sending a directed presence somewhere is currently stored on
your server (5.1.4 #2 of rfc 3921).

> Well, what channel are you talking about? You have subscription for
> presence, you enter and leave MUC rooms and so on. We would have to
> modify it all, make completely new infrastructure.

You can either modify the current infrastructure (and reuse large parts
of it) or you can build a new jep-0033 based infrastructure.