[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Address lists

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Thu Jun 8 09:18:28 UTC 2006

Personally I think it would be better to use a format like:

<presence to='multicast.montague.net' from='conference.montague.net/romeo'>
    <list xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/address/list' name='private MUC' hash='0ea29eb12ceff84d6300d66170eeebc0'>
        <remove>romeo at montague.net/orchard</remove>
	<add>romeo at montague.net/orchard</add>
    </list>
    <show>away</show>
</presence>

For the adding and removing of items from the list, using the whole JEP-0033 message format seems a bit wasteful bandwidth wise to me for no real gain.

and using the following format when you wish to broadcast a message or presence stanza to the list without adding or deleting.

<message to='multicast.montague.net' from='conference.montague.net/romeo'>
    <list xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocols/address/list' name='private MUC' hash='624678c1ce4f0cf6497b79cd9bc5822e'/>
</message>

It seems cleaner to use the top approach for adding and deleting as it means you are broadcasting the message to the list while also adjusting it as necessary.

What does anyone else think?

Also a question how does the sender know when its got out of sync? As the spec doesn't seem to address this as far as I can see, all it does is send the hash off to the multicaster, but what happens if the multicaster realises its got out of sync? How does it tell the sender of this fact so it can resync/resend the list?

Richard