[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Address lists

Etan Reisner deryni at eden.rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 8 17:45:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006, JEP Editor wrote:
> The JEP Editor has received a proposal for a new JEP.
>
> Title: Address lists
>
> Abstract: This document specifies extension to Extended Stanza Addressing to create and reuse lists of addresses.

> The Jabber Council will decide within 7 days (or at its next meeting) whether to accept this proposal as an official JEP.

In line with point 1 of Joe Hildebrand's email, I have to wonder what
the point of the 'name' attribute of a list is really for. The hash is
the really important piece of information in terms of identifying lists.

As far as I can see the name is really only used when clients don't have
the hash and just want to use an existing list. Is that really a usage
we want to allow for/encourage? It would seem to me that the only time
this is really useful is for using lists that are tied to a bare JID
from a different client than the one that set the list up in the first
place.

But I'm not sure that this is actually something that makes sense as
an action. What if the server doesn't know what that list is? As I
understand it the server is supposed to send an error which lets the
client recreate the list and then try again, but the client doesn't know
what the list is that is the problem. If the client did know it could
have used the hash (which means that it can recreate the list when it
needs to).

Did I miss something? Do the names have another use? That is besides
being human readable (which I don't count very highly because the client
can keep a name<->hash mapping interally and let the user use the name
that way).

Assuming I didn't miss anything, I would suggest that we make including
'hash' a MUST and consider removing 'name' entirely.

I hope this was all clear. I have some other comments about the spec but
I'll send separate emails for them.

 	-Etan