[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060: open issues

Matt Tucker matt at jivesoftware.com
Wed Jun 14 01:07:44 UTC 2006

Peter,

I wanted to chime in with our perspective on the JEP-0060 TODO list and
unfortunately add one more item. :)

1) Configuration inheritance is something that makes a lot of sense to
us so we'd love to see it happen. Without it, managing a large tree of
nodes is quite a pain.

2) It's turning out that permissions management for pubsub nodes is
harder than it should be in some cases. A very common use case is to
associate a pubsub node with some existing domain object such as a group
chat room. Some examples, "here are some files that everyone in the room
should look at", or "here's a whiteboard for everyone in the group chat
to edit". Ideally, you'd be able to configure the node to just inherit
all the permissions directly from the group chat room. So, if a new user
is approved to join the group chat, they would automatically have access
to the associated pubsub nodes. A very simple proposal for doing this
would be adding something like the following to node configuration:

<field var='pubsub#map_perms_from'
         type='jid-single'
         label='The JID to map permissions from for this node.'/>

Obviously, that doesn't say anything about how the permission mapping
would actually work -- it would be an exercise left open for
implementers. Still, it would be enough at the protocol level to make it
happen. Thoughts?

Regards,
Matt