[Standards-JIG] User Activity and PEP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Jun 16 17:04:15 UTC 2006

Mircea Bardac wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I was thinking today of idleness (Google says others also did this in May) and
> started reading some JEPs, including User Activity.
>
> While reading User Activity, I couldn't notice any refference of PEP, even
> though PEP mentions user activity (AFAIR).
>
> I see User-Activity depends on Pub-Sub, but I can't actually find/think any
> use-case in which Pub-Sub could work and PEP wouldn't - I'd like some
> comments on this if possible as I might be missing something.
>
> This made me ask myself wether it would be possible to:
> * make PEP the preffered implementation ("recommended dependency") and
> * make JEP-0060 dependency obsolete (or "not recommended").
>
> I know that User-Activity is Draft, but I have a slight feeling that JEP-0060
> put some devs away from implementing it because of the complexity.
>
> Mircea
> /IceRAM

I am planning to update all the "extended presence" JEPs after version
1.8 of JEP-0060 is published so that they reference PEP. That would
include all the JEPs mentioned in JEP-0119 (etc.), I think the full list
would be:

Geolocation: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0080.html

Physical Location: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0112.html

Activity: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0108.html

Mood: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0107.html

Avatar: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0084.html

Tune: http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0118.html

I think we could define more JEPs like this -- in addition to "tune" why
not "video" (what TV show/movie/video you're watching, cool for IPTV)
and "game" (what MMOG/game you're playing) and so on?

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre
Jabber Software Foundation