[Standards-JIG] Unique room names for JEP-45

Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. darco at deepdarc.com
Sat Jun 17 01:20:06 UTC 2006

On Jun 16, 2006, at 5:26 PM, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> But still, for some reason operating systems provide you functions to
> get a unique name for a temp file.

I'm not saying they shouldn't. Often times it's easier than coming up
with something truly random--as may be the case here.

> And now, I just thought that your random generated name could be
> rejected by MUC service, because - for example - it may be too long.

Base 64 encode the MD5 hash, and you'll only have to deal with 22
characters instead of 32.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx at conference.jabber.org

Seems reasonable.

> So I guess it's not a bad idea to have MUC generate a unique name
> for you.

It works fine, I'm not against it. I just wanted to point out that
you can do things as they are without collision checks.

Robert Quattlebaum
Jabber: darco at deepdarc.com
eMail:  darco at deepdarc.com
www:    http://www.deepdarc.com/