[Standards-JIG] Unique room names for JEP-45

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Sat Jun 17 10:30:40 UTC 2006

This email is Off-Topic.

On 17 Jun 2006, at 02:10, Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>> Million to one chances turn up nine times out of ten.
>
> I'm sorry, but that doesn't make sense.

It's a reference to a clever observation in popular literature which
the repressed statistician in me finds very satisfying. It's a
reference to the distinct outcomes of most events occurring being
vanishingly unlikely but that there must be an outcome, so a very
unlikely event must occur. For example the outcome of the lottery is
a 1 in 8*10^10 chance every week (ish) but every week, one of these
very unlikely events happens. So, million to one chances turn up nine
times out of ten...it's silly but it's amusing to me. :)

/K

--
Kevin Smith
Psi Jabber client developer/project leader (http://psi-im.org/)