[Standards-JIG] User-Pictures in Jabber

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jun 26 16:02:39 UTC 2006

On Thu Jun 22 19:53:45 2006, Andreas Pietzowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Someone already pointed you to the spec:
> >
> > http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0153.html
>
> Yes, but this was after my first post. I didn't re-heat this thread
> ;) The problem was that I had to start somewhere with my question.
> Sorry that it was your mailinglist. Now I know that kopete can
> handle pics since version 0.12.
>
> But a newbe has really no chance to know what is maybe a lack of
> features from a client or what is really not implemented yet in the
> protocol and the clients have no chance then.
>
> Got my point? *g*
>
> Have a nice day and keep on your good work on all that. Jabber has
> to get more popular and I try my very best in my friendship :)

If it's any consolation, I did get your point, and I'm getting the
impression that nobody else did.

My understanding was that you wished to know if such a thing was
possible in the protocol itself. That's a reasonable question to ask
on this list, I thought, and I'm surprised at the fairly hostile
reception you've got.

I agree that it's difficult to get an overview of the JEPs, RFCs, etc
involved, and I'm not surprised you didn't associate "JEP-0153: vCard
based Avatars" as the current way "[...] to see their pictures in
their IMs" - not least because it's marked as a Historical
Experimental proposal, which to my mind makes it out to be unlikely
to be worth looking at.

Remko's first response was what I'd have expected, and his second was
quite reasonable too. I can understand you got a little annoyed with
the stream of less than helpful responses from others.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/