[Standards-JIG] User-Pictures in Jabber

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:26:18 UTC 2006

On 6/26/06, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:

> > Yes, but this was after my first post. I didn't re-heat this thread
> > ;) The problem was that I had to start somewhere with my question.
> > Sorry that it was your mailinglist. Now I know that kopete can
> > handle pics since version 0.12.
> If it's any consolation, I did get your point, and I'm getting the
> impression that nobody else did.

  I think many people did get the point, but how a client exposes
implemented capabilities is very difficult for any sort of standards list to
enforce, unless it's dictated that in order for a client to be
'XMPP/Jabber', it supports every single JEP.

My understanding was that you wished to know if such a thing was
> possible in the protocol itself. That's a reasonable question to ask
> on this list, I thought, and I'm surprised at the fairly hostile
> reception you've got.
> I agree that it's difficult to get an overview of the JEPs, RFCs, etc
> involved, and I'm not surprised you didn't associate "JEP-0153: vCard
> based Avatars" as the current way "[...] to see their pictures in
> their IMs" - not least because it's marked as a Historical
> Experimental proposal, which to my mind makes it out to be unlikely
> to be worth looking at.

  The original message literally stated that Jabber needs the capability
without asking if it did.  It's the equivilant of telling the W3C that you
sure wish the HTTP spec allowed you to specify a timeout on a page, just
becouse you've observed a specific web client that doesn't send it.  ;-)

  Thomas