[Standards-JIG] message types

Michal vorner Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Wed Jun 28 08:16:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 11:53:43PM +0200, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> As we all know we have three message types:
> - plain message (no type attribute)
> - chat message
> - headline message
>
> My question is, are they anything usefull today or are just a plain
> legacy from Jabber times?
> Are we going to do something usefull with it?
> Is the distinction beetween normal/chat message needed?
> Normal messages were meant as an e-mail like. But since almost all
> message exchange today is IM, flagging all of them type="chat" is
> plain waste of bandwidth.

Well, I use the normal mail-like messages sometimes, for more formal
communication.

> If wee stick with the e-mail laike type, more problems arises. If I
> would like to connect to my XMPP server and fetch all normal messages
> with an MUA-like app using JEP-0013, I have no way of getting normal
> messages only and leaving chats and headlines for later retrieval by
> IM-app or RSS-reader.

Then we maybe could define such protocol to retrieve only the mail-like.
However, they are different from chat only the way how they show.

And headlines are not stored offline anyway.

> Headline message with just subject and body is at least restricted. It
> should be more like an ATOM item. But then, is there a reason of
> flagging it headline when you can see that's an ATOM item there
> already? And again - without JEP-0013 support it's not much usefull.

Why couldn't I have headline looking email-like message?

I guess they are useful for me in a way.

--
One semi-random fortune:

Einstein argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature, because
God is not capricious or arbitrary.  No such faith comforts the software
engineer.
                -- Fred Brooks

Michal "vorner" Vaner