[Standards-JIG] message types

Michal vorner Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Wed Jun 28 17:55:56 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:48:04PM +0200, Tomasz Sterna wrote:
> On 6/28/06, Hal Rottenberg <halr9000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>As we all know we have three message types:
> >>Are we going to do something usefull with it?
> >Sorry, have to totally disagree with you here.  I enjoy the
> >distinction and in fact use all 3 every day.
>
> Hal, it's not a matter of taking sides - I'm just discussing possibilities.
> :-)
>

> On 6/28/06, Michal vorner Vaner <michal.vaner at kdemail.net> wrote:
> >Well, I use the normal mail-like messages sometimes, for more formal
> >communication.
>
> So, if we want to keep the "type" semantics, to mark the type of a message
> we should extend it at least by a "notification" type, for pub-sub
> node change notifications.
> Now they are unrecognizable from normal plain messages.

Why sould we not keep them? Are they causing any trouble?

Aren't they missing the <body/> element? Actually, the type should be
specific to the body more than the message itself in my opinion, but I
do not see it a good reason to change it all. If the message is
something that does not show at all, then the type does not matter, if I
know.

> >Then we maybe could define such protocol to retrieve only the mail-like.
>
> We could extend JEP-0013 to show "type" while browsing and accept
> "type" while fetching.

Update the JEP, if you think it is needed.

> >However, they are different from chat only the way how they show.
>
> Not only. Messages deliver <subject/> and chats deliver <thread/>.

Which AFAIK is omitted most of the time.

> >And headlines are not stored offline anyway.
>
> What do you say? Mine are stored. :-)

They are supposed not to be stored, as headlines are usually short-term
notices. They are not stored on jabber.cz servers. I read somewhere they
SHOULD NOT, which means they may be stored but you need a good reason to
do it that way.

> >Why couldn't I have headline looking email-like message?
>
> What do you mean? Could explain more?

Well, something that has a subject and body. It would be the same in the
xml, and the poor client would not know how to show it.

--

There are two types of optimizations. The ones which make the program
slower and the ones which make the user red by missing features.

Michal "vorner" Vaner