[Standards-JIG] Re: WHACK

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon May 1 20:09:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Justin Karneges wrote:

> I'd also like to see more serious discussion about Dave Cridland's proposal.

Earlier in the thread Dave invoked my work on a successor to RFC 1845.
Based on that I think his idea of a retransmission high-water mark is a
good idea. Take a transactional point of view, and think of the two-phase
commit algorithm. Once the server has committed to handling a stanza, in
order to recover transactional consistency if the connection is lost, the
client has to have some way of rolling forward its view of the world -
it's too late to roll back.

Tony.
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: SOUTH 7 OR GALE 8, OCCASIONALLY SEVERE GALE
9 IN VIKING AND NORTH UTSIRE, DECREASING 5 OR 6, THEN VEERING SOUTHWEST 6 OR 7
IN VIKING. RAIN AT TIMES. MODERATE OR GOOD.