[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060: delete + retract?

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Fri May 5 13:08:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 02:55:38PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Alexander Gnauck wrote:
> >> So:
> >>
> >> <retract notify='true|false'>
> >>
> >> And default to false?
> >
> > I would prefer 2 verbs (<retract/> and <delete/>). Because i think the
> > verb retract is not self-explanatory for the use case i meant. But i
> > will join the majority here.
>
> I don't have a strong preference between the following:
>
> (1) two XML elements (<retract/> and <delete/>)
> (2) one <retract/> element with an optional 'notify' attribute
>
> I guess I have a weak preference for #2 because it is more backwards
> compatible -- if I send <delete/> to an existing service and it hasn't
> yet been upgraded to support version 1.8 of the JEP, the item won't get
> deleted, whereas if I send <retract notify='true'/> at least the item
> will get deleted even if notifications won't be sent.

For starters, the delete verb is reserved for node deletion. I would
recommend against overloading it in the non-owner namespace to mean
something else entirely.

Futher, I'm wondering if this is a publisher use case, or an owner use
case. I'd say it is an owner use case, so maybe we could add something
to <purge/> to specify which items to purge, retaining the default of
purging all items in the node. Not sure what to do with purge
notificiations, though.

We might also consider introducing the <retract/> verb in the owner
namespace that means silent retraction.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm