[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0060: delete + retract?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 5 17:21:15 UTC 2006

Ralph Meijer wrote:

>>> I would prefer 2 verbs (<retract/> and <delete/>). Because i think the
>>> verb retract is not self-explanatory for the use case i meant. But i
>>> will join the majority here.
>> I don't have a strong preference between the following:
>>
>> (1) two XML elements (<retract/> and <delete/>)
>> (2) one <retract/> element with an optional 'notify' attribute
>>
>> I guess I have a weak preference for #2 because it is more backwards
>> compatible -- if I send <delete/> to an existing service and it hasn't
>> yet been upgraded to support version 1.8 of the JEP, the item won't get
>> deleted, whereas if I send <retract notify='true'/> at least the item
>> will get deleted even if notifications won't be sent.
>
> For starters, the delete verb is reserved for node deletion. I would
> recommend against overloading it in the non-owner namespace to mean
> something else entirely.

Agreed.

> Futher, I'm wondering if this is a publisher use case, or an owner use
> case.

I don't have a strong feeling about whether it is a publisher use case
or an owner use case.

Rationale for publisher: why force a publisher to ask an owner to delete
an item that they just published if the publisher can do it himself?).

Rationale for owner: it might simplify the permissions model and such to
say that it is an owner use case.

> I'd say it is an owner use case, so maybe we could add something
> to <purge/> to specify which items to purge, retaining the default of
> purging all items in the node. Not sure what to do with purge
> notificiations, though.

That sounds overly complex to me.

> We might also consider introducing the <retract/> verb in the owner
> namespace that means silent retraction.

Not sure if that's necessary.

Ralph, what is your feeling on <retract notify='true|false'/> with a
default to false?

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre