[Standards-JIG] Re: JEP-0124: comments on proposed version 1.5

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Tue May 9 22:12:05 UTC 2006

Hi Bernhard,

> > After all, it doesn't even really need to know which error
> > was reported - the client should know anyway since it was
> > probably not conforming to the protocol.
>
> Using Adobe SVG Viewer it is possible to make a asynchron
> http connection with "postURL". jep-0124 works fine. But it
> is not possible to read the http response header -> no error
> handling.

The client I work with is also not able to differentiate between HTTP
errors. It only knows two states, HTTP success or HTTP failure. In
practice that does not matter for the reason stated above.

Your suggestion is appreciated, and I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm
just explaining that, right or wrong, the original vision for the
protocol was close binding to HTTP... and IMHO it's too late (and simply
not necessary) to change it now.

- Ian