[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed May 10 08:24:37 UTC 2006

Remko Troncon wrote:
>> need is a roster list retrieval protocol that allows you to retreive
>> just the changes since you last retrieved it, rather than the whole
>> roster everytime you connect.
>>

> I think you're mixing up Dave's "Increasing sequence number" proposals.
> That's a totally different thread ;-)
Nope I was just commenting on Dave's proposal to include a "quick
reconnect" mechanism along with the acks, and how it is not really
required (and personally not really desired either), having quick
reconnect as he suggests could result in even more instances of what are
effectively ghost connections on the server, personally I think that as
soon as a connection is detected by the server as being dead (using the
acks) that the particular user in question should immediately go offline
rather than buffering the traffic and giving the user a couple of
minutes to reconnect. If connections are over connections that are this
unreliable (that they keep getting disconnected every couple of minutes)
maybe those clients should be connecting using JEP-0124 which wouldn't
have this problem.

Richard