[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed May 10 17:38:35 UTC 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Richard Dobson wrote:

> personally I think that as soon as a connection is detected by the
> server as being dead (using the acks) that the particular user in
> question should immediately go offline rather than buffering the traffic
> and giving the user a couple of minutes to reconnect.

It sounds like you don't want reliable delivery at all, but would be happy
with fast disconnection detection, which can (and is) already be done with
whitespace pings.

Tony.
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: SOUTH 7 OR GALE 8, OCCASIONALLY SEVERE GALE
9 IN VIKING AND NORTH UTSIRE, DECREASING 5 OR 6, THEN VEERING SOUTHWEST 6 OR 7
IN VIKING. RAIN AT TIMES. MODERATE OR GOOD.