[Standards-JIG] The Ack Hack.

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 10 21:41:25 UTC 2006

On Wed May 10 19:14:47 2006, Richard Dobson wrote:
> If I have misunderstood can you explain exactly what he means by
> his reconnection stuff then?

If your connection gets lost, you go offline - just as now - and you
try to reconnect as soon as possible - just as now - and somehow, you
figure out which messages got there and which didn't - just as now.

"Hey, I'm back now, sorry, connection died. Did you get my last
message?" - except in deciated protocol, hop-by-hop, not as human
dialogue encapsulated in end to end message stanzas.

That's all - no servers maintaining a proxy presence, no roster delta
protocols, no eliding a full and complete startup sequence. (In fact,
I'm adding to it).

The biggest change is pulling the last step from end to end to
hop-by-hop, and from human interaction to protocol.

None of this mentions the acks themselves, please note - that's
because they're purely an optimization. The entire protocol works
absolutely fine without them, it's just it becomes quite costly in
terms of memory. Since the acks don't "do" anything, I've tried to
minimize their impact.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"