[Standards-JIG] Component protocol : JEP 114

Mridul Muralidharan mridul at sun.com
Thu May 11 04:51:53 UTC 2006

Hi Peter,

Please see inline.
Regards,
Mridul

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

>Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>> It would be great if someone could clarify this for us.
>>In section 3 (Protocol flow) of the JEP , it is specified that the 'to'
>>while opening the stream should be the component jid , but nothing is
>>mentioned about the 'from' for the response from the server.
>>The example gives the impression that the 'from' should be the component
>>jid itself , while xmpp specifies that it should be the server domain.
>>Which of this is correct ?
>>

>In the stream header from the server to the component, the 'from'
>attribute is set to the component JID. I realize this is kind of
>backwards from the XMPP perspective, but in large measure JEP-0114
>documents existing practices from a long time ago.
>
>You can think of it this way: the component doesn't have a JID, it's
>just some entity out there. It "wants" to be plays.shakespeare.lit or
>whatever, so when it connects to the server it puts that component JID
>in the 'to' address.

Ok , thanks for clarifying this - was not clear from the spec what the
'from' in the response should be.

>>Finding out the (default) domain of the server is something which would
>>be necessary for the component client.
>>

>Are you talking about virtual domains? So let's say the server hosts
>both shakespeare.lit and hamlet.lit. Your question is: "how does the
>component know which domains the server hosts, and therefore how does it
>know what component JID to request?" Correct?

As of now , we configure the component jid at the client side -
hardcoded into some property file for instance.
Problem is that , if the client does not know which is the server domain
, it will not be able to issue requests for the server as such.
Example , a disco query for instance - the 'to' field cannot be
populated since it will not know the server domain now.
This would be easy to do if the response 'from' was the server's domain.
Maybe I am missing some obvious way of finding this out.
Your response does clarify the situation (atleast the ambiguity is gone
!) - with now a problem for us as to find out how to solve this :-)

Thanks,
Mridul