[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu May 11 05:47:56 UTC 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Trejkaz wrote:

> This doesn't necessarily give fast disconnection at all.  When I'm at work
> connected through an SSH tunnel, if the SSH connection drops out, the SSH
> client keeps the socket open and it takes quite some time for *any* Jabber
> client to notice that it's been disconnected.

In that case you want the ssh equivalent of whitespace pings. See the
ssh_config man page and look for ServerAliveInteval. In effect you need to
do lssage detection at every level.

Tony.
VIKING NORTH UTSIRE SOUTH UTSIRE: SOUTH 7 OR GALE 8, OCCASIONALLY SEVERE GALE
9 IN VIKING AND NORTH UTSIRE, DECREASING 5 OR 6, THEN VEERING SOUTHWEST 6 OR 7
IN VIKING. RAIN AT TIMES. MODERATE OR GOOD.