[Standards-JIG] The Ack Hack.

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Thu May 11 13:42:25 UTC 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 16:56, Michal vorner Vaner wrote:
> But, this has a significant problem. There are many clients that has no
> way of remembering these numbers between sessions. It can as well be my
> computer goes down and it does not save the number to its disk.

A client which can't be bothered saving state might as well not care about
this feature, as implementing the rest of it is bound to be harder than
writing a few bytes to a file.

> It may be that the power is off unexpectadly and I use my mobile phone
> client, which did not have the last conversation.

However yes, for the situation where you join from a completely different
client, the server will simply have to assume that every message since the
last ack is undelivered, and deliver them all again.

What I wonder about all this is the following: if I have two clients logged
in, and the server spools 100 messages during the time between one client
having connection troubles and the connection finally closing, what happens?
Do all those messages wait the couple of seconds for the client to come back,
or do they just all spew to the second client immediately?

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/