[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Pavel Šimerda pavel.simerda.lists at centrum.cz
Thu May 11 15:28:50 UTC 2006

On 2006-05-10 19:38, Tony Finch wrote:
> On Wed, 10 May 2006, Richard Dobson wrote:
> > personally I think that as soon as a connection is detected by the
> > server as being dead (using the acks) that the particular user in
> > question should immediately go offline rather than buffering the traffic
> > and giving the user a couple of minutes to reconnect.
>
> It sounds like you don't want reliable delivery at all, but would be happy
> with fast disconnection detection, which can (and is) already be done with
> whitespace pings.
>
> Tony.

I'm not sure that this is really done with whitespace pings. I am connecting
with PSI 0.10 to an ejabberd server and I still appear to be online after 15
minutes of disconnection.

I don't know what whitespace pings really do aside from sending whitespace,
which is not enough.

Also... the connection is sometimes only half-broken, so one direction fails
but one goes (but with tcp retransmits and so on). We need a reliable ping
mechanism, that distinguishes between ping and ping reply. The best would be
if the pong (the reply) referenced ping's id.

Pavel

--
Keep it simple... http://www.pavlix.net/