[Standards-JIG] Component protocol : JEP 114

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu May 11 17:46:44 UTC 2006

Mridul Muralidharan wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Please see inline.
> Regards,
> Mridul
>
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> In the stream header from the server to the component, the 'from'
> attribute is set to the component JID. I realize this is kind of
> backwards from the XMPP perspective, but in large measure JEP-0114
> documents existing practices from a long time ago.
>
> You can think of it this way: the component doesn't have a JID, it's
> just some entity out there. It "wants" to be plays.shakespeare.lit or
> whatever, so when it connects to the server it puts that component JID
> in the 'to' address.
>

>> Ok , thanks for clarifying this - was not clear from the spec what the
>> 'from' in the response should be.

> Are you talking about virtual domains? So let's say the server hosts
> both shakespeare.lit and hamlet.lit. Your question is: "how does the
> component know which domains the server hosts, and therefore how does it
> know what component JID to request?" Correct?
>

>> As of now , we configure the component jid at the client side -
>> hardcoded into some property file for instance.
>> Problem is that , if the client does not know which is the server domain
>> , it will not be able to issue requests for the server as such.

Hardcoding = bad

Why can't your client send a service discovery request to its server
after it connects and then figure out what components are available?

Or when you say "client" do you actually mean "component"?

Usually components are pre-configured by a sysadmin to be located at a
particular hostname (e.g., conference.jabber.org) rather than having
dynamically-assigned hostnames, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Peter