[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Invisible Command

Daniel Henninger jadestorm at nc.rr.com
Fri May 12 00:34:09 UTC 2006

Also, and mind you, this is just a placeholder for a real discussion,
but I'd like to see some discussion about how to effectively convey
invisibility on through to transports.  There's an obvious weirdness
to that because if you are invisible, you are also invisible to the
transports.  But if nothing else, I would like to see something made
clear in a JEP like this about how one might handle such a
situation.  Could be something as simple as saying that you would
throw the invisible stanza and then send presence strings directly to
the transports only.  Then perhaps clients could see that and go "oh,
maybe I should offer an option to automatically send presences to the
transport".  ... well part of the problem there is the ideal was that
the transport knows about the invisible status.  Bah.  I'm babbling.

With the previous invisibles, I was never entirely sure how presences
were handled.  Like.. if you indicate that you are invisible, and
then send a directed available presence to some people, what about
when you go to away status?  Is the client supposed to have recorded
all of the places you send available statuses to and send on what it
needs?

Anyway, this is almost just a placeholder to start some discussion.
If anyone has any thoughts though I'd love to hear them.  I may
brainstorm and blog about it or something too.  We'll see.

Daniel