[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Invisible Command

Gary Burd gary_jabber at beagledreams.com
Fri May 12 05:00:39 UTC 2006

On 5/11/06, JEP Editor <editor at jabber.org> wrote:
> Title: Invisible Command
> Abstract: This document specifies an XMPP-compatible protocol for user invisibility.

The proposed JEP creates the invisible state by modifying the
available state. I think the invisible protocol will be easier to
understand and implement if the invisible state is created by
modifying the unavailable state.

Here's how this would work:

- The client sends an IQ to enable presence notifications
 and roster pushes in the unavailable state.

- If the resource is unavailable when the IQ is received,
 then the server probes the user's contacts on behalf
 of the resource.

- There is an IQ to disable this mode.

- There are no changes to the available state with this proposal.

Use case #1: Client logs in invisible:

- Client sends IQ to enable presence notifications
 and roster pushes in the unavailable state.

- Client requests roster.

- Client does not send available presence.

Use case #2: Client goes from visible to invisible:

- Client sends IQ to enable presence notifications
  and roster pushes in the unavailable state. This
  can be done as early as the start of the session.

- Client sends unavailable presence.

Use case #3: Client goes from invisible to visible:

- Client sends available presence.