[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Invisible Command

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri May 12 21:41:38 UTC 2006

On Fri May 12 18:21:00 2006, Zenon Kuder jr. wrote:
> I agree. I think this part
>
> While the client is in invisible mode, the server:(...) 5. MUST NOT
> deliver any inbound <message/> stanzas whose 'to' address is bare
> JID of the user.
>
> is not as what people expect...

You're obviously right, in as much as you're not the only one to
raise this point.

But I think I see where that MUST is coming from - it's a privacy
thing, I'd guess, preventing people from probing for you. (Although
why it then allows <iq> stanzas is a little beyond me).

What I also suspect is that there's multiple reasons for being
invisible, and this JEP assumes one meaning of invisibility, rather
than all possible reasons.

For instance, I was thinking of wiring XMPP support into my email
client. As an instant messaging client, it's far from optimal, but
it'd be useful for (for instance) remote control, highlighting online
users, etc. But I don't want to inadvertantly get messages routed to
it, really, nor subscription requests - I just want presence data,
the ability to manipulate the roster, and that kind of thing - I'd be
using it in combination with a "proper" IM client. This is a kind of
"90% offline", which this JEP describes pretty well, I think.

We just need to figure out what possible meanings invisibility has,
and ideally turn those into options for the invisibility command,
with reasonable defaults.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"