[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Pavel Šimerda pavel.simerda.lists at centrum.cz
Sat May 13 07:25:46 UTC 2006

On 2006-05-13 03:26, Trejkaz wrote:
> On Friday 12 May 2006 01:28, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
> > I don't know what whitespace pings really do aside from sending
> > whitespace, which is not enough.
>
> All it does is gives faster disconnection, that's right.  And even then,
> you really need both sides to be doing it, to get any kind of reliability.

How does it do faster disconnection... is it in some way a ping-response
mechanism? I can't find any docs for this...

If it is only both clients sending whitespace, it's not really a ping. If it
is request-response, it should be documented.

My connection sometimes goes one way and doesn't go the other (many
retransmits occur). I saw after reconnection, that in groupchats my messages
arrived. (seems to be a NAT problem)

Some people told me that there are difficulties working with tcp under
different OSes. That you sometimes can't get the info about what was sent and
what was not sent.

I don't know if psi and ejabberd use whitespace pings... but if they do, it's
no good for me. People can send me messages for 15 more minutes (glad it's no
more, at least) and they get lost immediately.

Pavel

--
Keep it simple... http://www.pavlix.net/