[Standards-JIG] Re: The Ack Hack.

Pavel Šimerda pavel.simerda.lists at centrum.cz
Sat May 13 08:01:11 UTC 2006

On 2006-05-13 09:44, Trejkaz wrote:
> On 13/05/2006, at 17:25 PM, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
> >>
> >> All it does is gives faster disconnection, that's right.  And even
> >> then,
> >> you really need both sides to be doing it, to get any kind of
> >> reliability.
> >
> > How does it do faster disconnection... is it in some way a ping-
> > response
> > mechanism? I can't find any docs for this...
>
> Suppose my client sends a whitespace ping once every minute.
>
> The server could then assume that no data received in two minutes
> means my connection is having problems, and disconnect me earlier
> than it would take the actual connection to terminate by itself.
>
> TX

So the server expects the whitespace pings regularly. Once it gets several
whitespace pings, it expects more of them regularly. Sort of watchdog I
understood well. Still it doesn't work for me (psi, ejabberd).

Still whitespace pings are not well documented, and xml pings look better to
me (in the way they are defined in jep-ack). It perfectly supplements the
message acking mechanism. And... I'd be happy to get rid of all whitespace
stuff in the protocol.

Pavel

--
Keep it simple... http://www.pavlix.net/