[Standards-JIG] The Ack Hack.

Michal vorner Vaner michal.vaner at kdemail.net
Sun May 14 07:47:08 UTC 2006

On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 11:25:53AM +1000, Trejkaz wrote:
> On Sunday 14 May 2006 05:08, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, it wouldn't be that bad.  It just means that this 1 in 20
> > > phone clients wouldn't get reliable delivery.  If they wanted it,
> > > they could upgrade their phone.  Simple.
> >
> > None of them will get reliable delivery... there are many cases when last
> > id storage fails. Like switching clients or even computers/devices.
> >
> > It's good to eliminate duplicate messages, nothing more.....
>
> Look, I know that this won't give reliable delivery all by itself.  That would
> clearly be ludicrous.
>
> What I said was, if 1 in 20 phone clients can't implement something intrinsic
> to whatever protocol we come up with, then that 1 client just won't get
> reliable delivery.  And that's fine, right?  The user can upgrade their
> phone.
>
> I don't think designing around the concept of having no storage device is a
> very smart move these days, when people can walk into a shop and buy a 1GB
> memory card for a phone, and there are other phones on the market with *hard
> drives*.
>
> Even TV set-top boxes have internal storage.

Well, it can happen we will have something similar to hardware
sip-phones, which can have read-only eprom for login credetials and it's
all.

I said it would be nice if it worked at last somehow without the
storage, that it shouldn't be marked as MUST. That's all.

--

Work with computer has 2 phases. First, computer waits for the user to tell it what
to do, then the user waits for the computer to do it. Therefore, computer work

Michal "vorner" Vaner